Wednesday, June 1, 2011

How to do your OWN "OMBRE" HAIR

I am LOVING THIS LOW MAINTNANCE LOOK FOR THE SUMMER...
I needed something NEW, FRESH, FUN...but less dramatic than my previous "DO's" from  this post.

First of all, I must say I am ..
NOT A PROFESSIONAL HAIR COLORIST OR STYLIST...
heck not even good at coloring my own hair.. :) But I like the way it came out :)


But let's face it, with a world of information at your fingertips you can "LEARN", "HOW TO" do anything
That is how we have this tutorial...(
I researched many methods and this one seemed to be the most logical and easiest.


Of course I am taking baby steps and didn't go 100% platinum blonde right from the start.


OMBRE HAIR is a trend that has been seen on celebrities...
Of course, I am months behind the trend but it's NEVER TOO LATE to try something new!




OMBRE HAIR gradually gets lighter from the roots to the end.
It starts Dark at the top and works its way to light brown/blonde on the ends.
It should blend pretty flawlessly and there should'nt be a dramatic jump between the colors of your hair. (NOT LIKE DREW'S)
{At least this is the most flattering way I like the style}


This is the Color I used....Made for brunettes! (Bought at Sally Beauty Supply)




I started with Medium brown hair and it did have some semi-permanent color on it from about a month a half ago, from a previous attempt at the ombre style that failed. (This method had you do the reverse action by darkening the top and leaving out the bottoms..didn't really like this method)


Before


Begin with unwashed hair. Part your hair in 6 sections. 2 sections in the front, parting down the middle and grabbing hair from of the ears up to the top of the head. Then part the back of the head into 4 sections; 2 on top and 2 on bottom.


Now begin in each section taking smaller pieces and teasing your hair FROM TIP TO ROOT... Leaving about half the amount of hair orginally in that piece. The teasing helps the highlights blend so they won't look like Drew's...A very IMPORTANT STEP!!


WE WILL PUT COLOR ONLY ON THE BOTTOM INCHES OF THE HAIR (this was about 6 in. for me)


OBVIOUSLY NOT ATTRACTIVE PICTURES!!
P.S. These are SALON FOILS :) Not foil from home...JUDY!! lol!
And they have a super cool "window" to see processing (also purchased at sally's)


HAIR IS LOVELY TEASED :)


Continue all the way around your head and add the color to the bottoms, not trying to be too precise. That is the point of this look. Sunkissed, grown out highlights...


Process hair for 20-25 min and rinse and wash out...
This was kinda tough with all the teasing. Good LUCK! :)





I'm thinking we're {hubby and I (he's a great helper)} gonna do MULTIPLE PROCESSES to get the color I want...but I don't wanna ruin my hair.. I LOVE IT THO'..KEEPING THIS STYLE FOR A GOOD WHILE.











NightOwlCrafting

3 comments:

  1. VERY cute. LOVE it. I always love your hair though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! We must be kindred souls. I am horrible at cutting or dying but just keep trying on my own hair because sometimes it is fabulous - sometimes not. But it always grows out. I almost attemped an A-line bob the other day but last minute went and had it done - but now I'm looking at my kids seeing which would look good with the style because I am itching to try it after learning how. I had never heard of Ombre - but love it! Looks very California-esque (which is where I'm from).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amy! I cut my own bangs and have my poor Husband trim and color my hair regularly...We can never take ourselves TOO seriously :) I would love for my daughter to have an A-line bob, SOOOO CUTE!
    P.S. IT is Sooo California!! You guys have the awesomeness of the beach bleaching ur hair; we call it "ombre"... so jealous :)@Amy

    ReplyDelete